Crystal Pension: -
Susanne Pension: -
Szent László út 93/b.
(Facing to the Kilián u.)
Szent László út 95/b
(Facing to the Balaton.)
Sign up for newsletter!
In the high season, these excursions start every week:
A very interesting scenic spot is port of Siófok, from where the scheduled pleasure boats put forth. The busiest boat traffic occurs here on the Balaton. The monument erected to 100th 125th and 150th anniversary of steamboating of the Balaton stands in the park in front of building of the port. On the Northern part stands the statue of Vilt Tibor, title: Mermaid of Lake Balaton (1974). In the park next to it one of the sights of the city, Rose Garden can be seen, which revives again by the careful work of the gardeners. The end of the Cross lake swimming competitio is also here, that's why in 1997 the city put up a statue to Kálmán Szekrényessy, who was the first man who swam cross the lake. Port of the sailing boats, as well as one of the characteristic buildings of the town, the Meteorological Observatory, are located at the western pier.
This observatory gives the first storm signal for the whole Balaton region. Yard of the station is decorated by Miklos Borsos's statue titled "Urania". Scenic spot of the port is still the Sió-lock being built together with it. Here a memorial tablet brings it to our mind that the first lock allowing regulation of water level of the lake has been made on the basis of Károly Klein's and László Botka's designs in 1863.
The old Sió and Hullám (Wave) hotels are situated on the front of the Petofi promenade, among ancient walls of which many noted writers and artists made their appearance. On the right side of the promenade we can fall in with popular walking place of Siófok, the Jókai park. There are lots of people seeking for softening under the cool leafy boughs and shady trees. On several kilometer long shrubby promenades and on open beaches of extensive area of the 'Aranypart' (Gold Shore) the visitor finds thousands of people seeking for pleasures of summer, resting and recreation. But exceedingly beautiful eastern basin of the Balaton, with waving mounts of the opposite shore, also bursts upon the visitor's sight. Turning back on the Batthyány street we make our way towards the Mártirok (Martyrs) street. In front of oldest and most beautiful building of the bathing establishment, on fence of the former Vitéz boarding-house, a marble tablet designates Frigyes Karinthy's one-time summer house. The most universal-minded and one of the most fruitful Hungarian writers of the XXth century deceased in this house on 29th August, 1938.
The villa standing on the corner of the Batthyány and Martirok street is famous for the fact that Mór Jókai spent last summer of his life here in 1903. The so-called Krúdy villa is to be found towards the port at some meters from the building. The writer spent all his summers in this house from 1914 to 1919. Otherwise Gyula Krúdy was bound by a memory for life to Siófok, where every summer he was guest of one-time tenant of Siófok bathing establishment, Gyula Várady. Here he became acquainted with and fell in love with Rózsa Zsuzsa Várady, who was 21 years younger than himself and whom he married later on.
On other side of the Sió, going to Zamárdi, we are on the so-called Ezüstpart (Silver shore), where modern holiday houses and hotels have been erected, allowing recreation of many thousands of people. In front of northern side of the ten-storied building on the beach László Marton's statue titled "Woman's torso" has been placed (1970). Going backwards to the centre of town we can see educational complex and building estate of Foki-mount, as well as block of building of Hospital and Out-patients' department of Siófok inaugurated in 1968. One of most beautiful, multiform statues of Siófok, Imre Varga's work titled "Bygone days" is to be found in garden of the hospital. Still, László Péterfy's work titled "Figure of fountain" decorates the park (1970). In the centre of Siófok on the Szabadság square the 45 m high Water tower rises, which is one of the characteristic buildings of the town. To the South of the Liberty square on the Main square stands the City Hall and Cultural Centre. Here stands the bust of Imre Kálmán, work of Meszes Tóth Gyula (1961). Imre Kálmán, the world-famous componist was born in Siófok. In the house where he was born a museum can be found, at Imre Kálmán promenade 5.
The Main square is adorned by a fontain, which is the composition of Imre Varga, son of Siófok. Its title: Birth of Venus (1988)
From public buildings of Siófok we see to rise the neo-Roman Parish-church, which has been built in 1903. Above its entrance door work of the international-famed painter-artist Endre Muzsinszki-Nagy (1886-1975) is visible. Neoclassic station paintings of the church were painted by Béla Büky (1928), while the triumphal arch, in the middle of which Patrona Hungariae is enthroned and receives homage of the Hungarian saints, is made fascinating by paintings of György Leszkovszky (1938). Stained glasses of the church have been made in workshop of Miksa Róth. Based on dispositions of the IInd Council of the Vatican sanctuary of the building has been rebuilt in 1980 according to scene designs of György Osztie. The pastoforium is work of György Madarassy goldsmith's artist. Behind the high altar there is visible magnificent work of a Tyrolean master of the XVIIth century, the bearded, thorn-crowned Christ inclining his head to the right.
Largest organ of the whole Balaton-region is to be found also in the church. The three-manual and thirty six-register instrument was constructed by Frigyes Paulus organ-builder master according to drawings of Sándor Fábián cantor.
In the church organ concerts are organized every summer with appearance of well-known home and foreign artists.
Under number 13 Kele u. we find the Presbyterian church built in 1923, while at the corner of Budai Nagy Antal and Széchenyi streets there is the stately synagogue inaugurated by Dr. Alfred Schöner chief rabbi on 12th June, 1986 (on the day of Erev Sovuausz).The new evangelic church designed by Imre Makovecz Ybl Prize winner architect can be found in the Oulu park (Oulu is Finnish sister town of Siófok). This four-portal, upward- orientated building that holds 120 people and has wooden structure in 80% is the most beautiful and modern evangelic church of not only of the town but of the country.
In the Fo (Main) street on the left bank of Sió quite close by the bridge there is a Lodging house, later called Fogas (Pike-perch) and Borharapó (Wine shop). This porched open-passage Baroque building is one of the most valuable architectural heritages of the inner town.
In the centre of the city, by the railway station the Milleneum park can be found. It is a good resting place for the citizens and for the tourists. Its land is 16.000 m2. Park was planned by Dr. Imre Jámbor, professor of department of horticulture. The building begann in 1993, ended in 1994. It costed 62 million HUF.
In the park many public compositions can be found: bronze statue of Imre Kálmán in the music pavilion. Here you can find another group of statue, The Martyrs and a memorial monument of World War II. and last but not least the "Bathing woman".
The park is worth visiting at night.
The town amounting to a population of about 23,000 souls develops dynamically in the future too, combining traditions of the past and modern directions of the prese